The Interview Process
Before the interview
- Search informations about the company. Know about the company culture and visit the website, portfolio, job description, github account and social networks profiles like Linkedin or the Facebook page.
- Prepare some questions to the interviewer.
- Search the web and see if there is someone who made the same interview.
- Know who will be interviewing you, and learn a bit about their background.
- Know your strengths and weakness.
- Know about the SOARA technique and RSA. Be ready to answer a question about some situations at work.
- Prepare for the different types of interviews: behavior, experiential, or combination.
- Sleep well the day before the interview and try to be relaxed.
- Turn off your cell phone (even for skype interviews).
During the interview
- Shake the interviewer's hand.
- Keep eye contact.
- Go straight to the point. Quick and short answers are better than talking too much. This will give the interviewer\s exactly what they need to know.
The following simple warning seems simpe to follow but they need an effort. Simply dont'do them!
- Don't talk too quickly.
- Don't use slang.
- Don't use words you don't know the meaning of.
- Don't talk about your personal life.
- Don't fidget or act nervous. You probably will be, but it is best if you take a few seconds and clear your mind.
- Don't get defensive. Try to answer technical questions but don't be afraid to skip a question you don't know the answer.
A technical interview can be a difficult step during the hiring process. We often know some concept but we cannot explain some mechanism because we simply apply it in practice.
The Joel test
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
After the interview
- Drop off your thank you note. Always thank your interviewer after you've left. For skype or phone interview, just send an email within 24 hours.
Improving the Linkedin profile
Linkedin is an excellent social for searching informations, jobs, headhunters and companies. Searching a new job can be very easy but you have to let your profile to be visible for your preferred researches.
Some essential books about the whole interview process.